Commissioner’s Message – COVID-19 Emergency Arrangements Extended
December 10, 2020
The Government has announced the COVID-19 emergency arrangements for bodies corporate will be extended to 30 April 2021, or an earlier date as decided by the Government. This is in recognition of the ongoing impacts of the pandemic on community titles schemes in Queensland.
This means that the arrangements will remain and continue until 30 April 2021, or an earlier date.
· a body corporate will be unable to charge penalty interest on overdue levies over this period
· a body corporate may extend due dates for payment of levies
· a body corporate may adjust its sinking fund budget for its current financial year subject to certain conditions
· if all owners provide consent in writing, committees may approve expenditure above the spending limit
· increased borrowing limits apply
· committees may modify the way committee and general meetings are held if they believe a public health directive would be breached,
· committees may decide to allow voters to attend a committee meeting or general meeting remotely,
· committees may arrange for voters to vote electronically for motions and committee elections,
· a body corporate may satisfy its obligation to allow an interested person to inspect body corporate records by providing a copy or electronic access, provided relevant fees are paid
· committees may make decisions about restricting access to common property if reasonably necessary to comply with health directives
The usual obligation of a body corporate to commence debt recovery proceedings against owners who owe a body corporate debt is also suspended until 2 months after 30 April 2021, or an earlier date as decided by the Government. A body corporate may still choose to commence debt recovery proceeding prior to this, should it be considered reasonable.
You can read more about the COVID-19 amendments on our webpage
This article was contributed by Michelle Scott Commissioner for Body Corporate and Community Management
The post Commissioner’s Message – COVID-19 Emergency Arrangements Extended appeared first on Smart Strata | Body Corporate Management.